Yes you can be allergic to your pet. Roughly 15-20% of people are allergic to animals.Most of the allergies are to the pets dander, which are scales of old skin. Cats are the most common culprit of allergies. Symptoms of an animal allergy can include, red, itchy, watery eyes and nose, sneezing, coughing, scratchy or sore throat and most serious of all, difficulty breathing.
There are things you can do to help reduce your symptoms rather than get rid of your pet.
- Create an allergen free room by preventing your pet from entering the chosen room.
- Limit fabrics, remove carpets, rugs and drapes and steam clean upholstery frequently.
- Vacuum frequently
- Install an Air Purifier
- Use anti-allergen room sprays
- Clean cat litter box frequently
- Dust frequently
- Get washable pet bedding
- Find an Allergist doctor who can test and alleviate your symptoms with medications and Immunotherapy, which can often allow you and your pet to remain together